I have a date with Dr. Kirsten Dunst (Dr. Swanstrom’s partner) to have the stent in my stomach removed. I have to be at the hospital at 3:00 pm. They made sure to tell me that I needed to fast for 8 hours before the procedure. I laughed and said, “Um… I’ve been NPO for 6 and a half weeks.” To which they said, “Oh… what a bummer!”
It’s an outpatient procedure. The speculation is that I will be discharged by about 6pm, and then on my way home.
My question is if they will be able to get me awake enough to get to that point! The last few times when I’ve had anesthesia there was not a whole lot of success in that department!
In other – but related – news. I’m trying not to have a freak out. I’m not sure it’s working.
I think I may have mentioned previously that the last week that I was in the hospital this last time there was a new resident who showed up – never introduced himself, and did very little interacting with me. I wasn’t so impressed with him. I still don’t know his name – that bugs me. He filled out some of my discharge papers and wrote on them that my condition was a complication from my “gastric bypass” – SEVEN YEARS AGO.
I DON’T THINK SO!
Dr. Swanstrom, Dr. Zelko, and Dr. Halpin all agreed that my condition was due to damage caused by excessive ibuprofen use – secondary to my ankle reconstruction in March.
So – guess what’s happened. Yep. My insurance company is presenting ME with a bill for my 3 week hospitalization – that got billed as $90,041.80 – that’s without any of the procedures that were done – which have now also been denied.
So – now I find myself needing to fight and appeal all of this – which will eventually add up to well over $100,000 worth of treatment.
This is scary.
We are so broke to start with – I’ve been trying to figure out how I can make some money somehow just because we are barely making it with day to day needs! Now this! I’ve been doing a lot of crying out to God for help and advocacy.
And to be honest – not being 100% all better yet – it just feels so insurmountable. I kind of don’t know what step to take first or next or whatever!
I’ve decided to try and not focus on it today, though – I’m going to get this stent removal done and over with, get recovered from that, and THEN formulate a plan and go to work on that… praying desperately all the way!